FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1955 Tontala, what do you know about it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    carsofaustralia.com.au Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugo90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: 1955 Tontala, what do you know about it? Reply with quote

In 1955 a car based on Holden mechanicals was shown at the Melbourne Motor Show. Built in Canterbury by a Mr Theiler, it was to be made as a full car, but then only kits were offered. I read that nine were produced. No pictures known, nothing more than this on the web. Have you heard of it, or know where one may be hidden away? Anything at all is more than what is available now.
FastEddie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were among the first cars in Australia to be made of fibreglass back in the fifties when fibreglass surfboards were starting to make headway. The cars used a lot of Holden components but after a big flash at the Melbourne Motor Show the whole thing fell in a heap. Imagine what one of those cars that were made would be worth now. There must be one of these cars parked somewhere in Australia.
jackthemac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car was displayed at the Motor show in 1955 there will be pictures. Was it a 4 door ?
Bobby Hollywood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Our Tontala..... Reply with quote

Ok fellas, I know some things about them, I fell out of my dad's Tontala in Moonee Ponds when I was a little kid!
My dad saw the Tontala at the Melbourne motor show and bought it. It was British Racing green with white wall tyres. If you Google "Tontala" most of the photos were of our one. Years ago I Googled the name and came up with a Sports Car style magazine on Ebay (USA) and bought it. Interesting to note that the rego number of the light coloured coupe in the article was the same plate as our green coupe had!
Dad said that the car didn't like travelling under 65mph, and Dad was deaf and mustn't have heard me fall out of the Tontala when he turned off Mt Alexander road into a side street and my brother didn't tell dad till the next intersection!!
[/img]????
How do I insert images here for you to view
Rob Warden
coutaboat@hotmail.com
editor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

To insert an image onto this Forum you type in the following:

[img]......................................{/img]

In between these two you must add the on-line address of your image......i.e. if you have posted your images on say Photobucket the full link on your CarsofAustralia post will look like this:

I look forward to seeing the pics of your fathers Tontala.

JEff - Editor
GreyFC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    carsofaustralia.com.au Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: