FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW Expands 5 Series Lineup with All-New 520i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    carsofaustralia.com.au Forum Index -> AUSTRALIAN MOTORING NEWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
editor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: BMW Expands 5 Series Lineup with All-New 520i Reply with quote

BMW Expands 5 Series Lineup with All-New 520i

BMW Australia has expanded the innovative new BMW 5 Series range to six with the introduction of the sophisticated BMW 520i.

The 520i joins the range as a highly-equipped entry point, sharing specification with the popular BMW 520d.

With three petrol engines, two diesels and the impressive 530e iPerformance plug-in hybrid, the BMW 5 Series will now appeal to a wider audience.

New BMW 520i pricing*:

BMW 520i ‘Launch Edition’ @ $99,900 drive away

BMW 520i @ $92,200*

Powertrain, performance and efficiency

2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine
Outputs of 135kW and 290Nm
Zero to 100km/h in 7.8 seconds
Fuel consumption: 6.2L/100km
CO2: 141g/km
Eight-speed automatic transmission with gearshift paddles
Rear-wheel drive

BMW 520i Launch Edition: Drive away for less than 100K

To celebrate the latest BMW 5 Series, the 520i is to be immediately available as a ‘Launch Edition’, with a drive away price of $99,900.

Opting for the Launch Edition in Luxury Line trim adds the sought-after Exclusive Package, which brings the following additional specification:

19-inch light-alloy wheels in a choice of multi-spoke or W-spoke styles
Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery
Automatic Tailgate function
Dynamic Damper Control
Comfort Seats for driver and front passenger
Seat heating for driver and front passenger
BMW Individual Anthracite Roofliner
High-beam Assist

Those specifying the Launch Edition with the M Sport Package gain:

19-inch M light-alloy wheels with double spoke styling
M Aerodynamics Package
Trapezoidal tailpipe finishers in chrome
BMW Individual window surrounds in a choice of satinated aluminium or high-gloss Shadowline
M Sport Suspension
M designation on front side panels
Sports Seats for driver and front passenger
Illuminated M door sills
M leather steering wheel

On an on-going basis the BMW 520i shares the same high level of innovative standard specification as the 520d introduced earlier in 2017. Equipment highlights include:

Luxury Line with Chrome Line exterior (M Sport Package optional)
LED Headlights and fog lights
18-inch BMW light alloy wheels
Comfort Access
Dakota leather upholstery with Sensatec instrument panel
Electric seat adjustment for driver and front passenger
Electrically-adjustable steering column
Navigation system Professional with 10.25-inch Touch Control Display
Wireless smartphone charging
HiFi Loudspeaker system with 12 speakers and DAB+ digital radio
BMW Head-Up display
Driving Assistant Plus, including Active Cruise with Stop & Go function, front Cross traffic warning, crossroads warning and Lane Keeping Assistant
Parking Assistant Plus, including Parking Assistant with rear Active Park Distance Control, Surround View and Panorama View
Speed limiter and Speed limit info
Airbags including front, full-length sides, driver’s knee and head protection integrated in sides and headliner
BMW ConnectedDrive Freedom with access to BMW Online and BMW Apps for seamless third-party app integration (for example, Spotify). Also includes real-time traffic information, intelligent emergency call, TeleServices, Concierge Services and phone app-based Remote Services

Comprehensive autonomous functions, impressive safety systems

As with the rest of the new BMW 5 Series range, the 520i represents the next step towards automated driving.

A stereo camera works with a front-mounted radar and four side-mounted radar systems to continuously monitor the vehicle’s surroundings.
The Steering and Lane Control assistant is functional from 0-210km/h, offering occupants the ability to drive hands free for periods up to 30 seconds.

A further function of the 520i is Speed Limit Assist, which incorporates speed restrictions into the Active Cruise Control and the driver-selectable Speed Limiter function.

The Active Cruise Control system includes an innovative Stop & Go function that brakes and accelerates according to traffic flow, while retaining the cruise function – forms part of the standard Driving Assistant Plus package and can accelerate the vehicle as well as bring it to a complete stop without driver intervention.

Front cross-traffic warning, lane keeping assistant, evasion aid and cross-roads warning form additional systems within this package.

Parking Assistant Plus offers Active Park Distance Control to the rear, with Surround View and Panorama View offering expansive virtual imaging of the vehicle’s surroundings.

A full suite of stability control systems are standard, including dynamic stability control, anti-lock braking with brake assist, cornering brake control and dynamic traction control.

Airbags are installed for driver and front passenger, as well as full-length side airbags. Additional side and headliner bags provide further head protection in the event of an accident.

Connectivity

BMW’s iDrive 6 infotainment system has received solid reviews since its debut in the BMW 5 Series. This intuitive system is also included in the 520i.

System interaction can be conducted via the impressive 10.25-inch colour touchscreen, the traditional iDrive circular controller (which also features a sensitive touchpad to ‘handwrite’ commands) and console-mounted buttons, or via a new voice control system that uses natural language recognition software for a new level of understanding. Additionally, the optional gesture control adds another layer of human-machine interface capability.

The central screen displays information in an app-style format, with information ‘tiles’ that can be reordered simply by swiping the touch screen to suit the user.

Wireless phone charging, and the world-first ability to wirelessly connect to (optional) Apple Car Play offer further third-party connectivity options and the extended Bluetooth system can connect to two separate smartphones simultaneously.

A full array of BMW ConnectedDrive services is fitted across the range, with access to BMW Online and BMW Apps for seamless third-party app integration (for example, Spotify). The service also includes advanced real-time traffic information, intelligent emergency call, TeleServices, Concierge Services and phone app-based Remote Services.

Remote Services is particularly powerful, allowing the user to control key aspects of the vehicle while in a different location. Through the BMW Connected app, one can pre-condition the vehicle’s cabin, lock or unlock the doors and flash the headlights. A ‘Find Car’ function is also possible, meaning you’ll never be stranded in a crowded car park again.

Journey management is another highlight of the BMW Connected app, enabling sending of destinations directly to the 520i’s navigation system as well as integrating with your calendar and providing ‘Time to Leave’ notifications, ensuring you will make your next engagement on time.

Additionally, the new ‘Remote 3D view’ camera system is now available. This projects a virtual image of the vehicle that can be viewed via the BMW Connected app service and adds further peace of mind to the owner.

Construction, suspension and steering systems

Lightweight construction sees weight savings of up to 95kg when compared to an equivalent predecessor model.

The savings are made through intelligent application of various materials that ensure optimum strength and rigidity while remaining lightweight, thus benefitting efficiency, dynamics and performance.

Extensive use of aluminium is evident in the shell’s construction, with items such as the bonnet, front side panels, roof, doors, and bootlid constructed in the lightweight, strong material.

The suspension system also features extensive use of aluminium in its construction. A fixed suspension, providing a strong blend of ride and response, is fitted as standard to the BMW 520i. A 10mm-lower fixed M Sport suspension setup is also available, with the electronically-adjustable Dynamic Damper Control an option.

Integral Active Steering, which allows a degree of active rear-wheel steering for exceptional agility and reduced steering effort at slower speeds, is also optionally available.

Drive modes alter steering, suspension, gearshift and throttle settings to suit the driver’s mood, with Eco Pro, Comfort and Sport options available.

Interior

Boasting improved interior space to the front and rear of the cabin, the new BMW 5 Series also takes occupant comfort to the next level.

Electrically-controlled Dakota leather seats with driver’s memory function are standard for the 520i, as is a sports leather-trimmed steering wheel, fine-wood poplar grain interior finishers and Sensatec dashboard trim. Velour floor mats are also standard.

Comfort access, an electrically-adjustable steering column and two-zone automatic climate control are also standard-fit, as is a 40:20:40 through-loading system for maximum convenience.

For entertainment, the DAB+-capable audio system features a 12-speaker HiFi system with 205W output and digital amplifier.

Exterior profile

The new BMW 520i combines restrained elegance with a taut, sporty stance.

Two traditional BMW design features, the side bead line and the distinctive ‘Hofmeister’ kink, have been linked for the first time. The bead line ‘turns’ as it cuts along the side profile, blending into the distinctive kink that highlights the c-pillar, while the lower front wings feature distinctive ‘Air Breather’ slats to extract air from the wheel arches.

It is also a master of function as well as form, with a drag co-efficient as low as 0.24 (on Australian variants), thanks to its wind-cheating design and functional attributes, such as the Active Air System that can close the kidney grilles (where additional cooling isn’t required) to maximise airflow around the vehicle.

The exterior can also be tailored with a range of new-design light alloy wheel options and exterior lines, such as the satinated aluminium trims found on models equipped with the M Sport Package. This also brings the M Aerodynamic package for additional sports presence.

When compared to the predecessor model, the new BMW 5 Series offers a 7mm longer wheelbase (2975mm) for additional occupant space. It is also 28mm longer (4935mm), 8mm wider (1868mm) and 2mm taller (1466mm). Boot capacity has increased by 10L, to 530L.

Lighting provides a further signature to the BMW 520i, with full LED head lights and fog lights fitted as standard.

Condition Based Servicing

All maintenance requirements for the BMW 520i are controlled by the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system.

With CBS, sensors and advanced algorithms monitor and calculate the conditions in which a vehicle is used, including mileage, time elapsed since its last service, fuel consumption and how a vehicle is driven. Based on the information captured, maintenance requirements are determined, identifying whether an annual vehicle inspection or oil service is due.

Selected BMW service and maintenance costs can be covered by a single, one-off advance payment with BMW Service Inclusive (BSI), which is available in two packages: Basic or Plus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    carsofaustralia.com.au Forum Index -> AUSTRALIAN MOTORING NEWS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: