Joined: 14 Aug 2006
|Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 pm Post subject: Update on McLeans Bridge at Lakeside - May 2012
|It is not too early to start considering pre-registration for your Club members to attend next year’s Maclean’s Bridge at Lakeside (19-20 May 2012).
There were lessons from this year’s event that have certainly been taken on board. An even larger crowd than in 2011 is expected on the show day (20 May*) next year, but better access to the display areas and a new parking plan, including better use of the track, will make for much less congestion. Clubs cooperating to pre-register groups can make the access and parking even easier.
Clearly the organisers do not want to make the pre-registration process cumbersome and time-consuming – we’re from a Club too, and we know the realities. But we do need to have a system that facilitates planning and guarantees appropriate parking space for those who plan ahead and indicate their intention early.
There are several good reasons why your Club should attempt to pre-register at least a group, if not all, that will be attending. Please note the following:
1. Only pre-registered Clubs can be guaranteed space on the parking plan. We all know there will still be people who will simply turn-up on the day and expect the best places to park, but we can’t plan for them to the disadvantage of those who pre-register.
2. Only Clubs with a pre-registered group will be eligible for the Best Display Award (and this year the prize will be $500 cash).
3. Only Clubs that have pre-registered a group will be listed in the Program. This will be a memento-quality booklet with photo spreads of cars in the Concours d’Elegance, the Concours de Facsimile and in the Club Teams for the Regularity Championship, and a descriptive listing of all Clubs that pre-register a group. The Clubs’ listing will be an indicator to potential members of how to join a particular Club.
4. Pre-registered Clubs are assured of adequate parking space to their full estimate plus space for a tent until 9:30 a.m. (i.e. they are not limited to the size of the pre-registered group).
5. Only pre-registered cars will be eligible for the field judging. If a person wants their car judged in a field class, it must be pre-registered. The Registration Kit includes a simple mechanism which the owner can use to let the judges know the car is to be judged in a particular class. (The owner may pre-register and not apply the mechanism for field judging – entering the field classes is not compulsory, it is a choice.)
6. Parking places for a pre-registered owner/car, whether via a Club or as an individual, will be guaranteed until 9:30 am. Late arrivals and those arrivals that are not pre-registered may be asked to park in the ‘overflow’ or spectator areas.
7. All pre-registered owners will receive a metal dash badge, a memento of the event, in their Registration Kit. These badges are attractive and bear the Maclean’s Bridge at Lakeside logo. Pre-registrants will also receive a window sticker.
To get your pre-registration activities started, please refer to www.macleansbridge.com and click on Registration on the main menu, go to Club Pre-Registration Form, and print out the form. The process for pre-registering a group will almost certainly take some time in most clubs.
We are expecting a good turn out in 2012. Early interest is strong --- for example:
• Clubs that were missing in 2011 have already been in touch for 2012 as have some NSW groups.
• We already have entries for both Shannons’ Concours d’Elegance and the ByDesign Concours de Facsimile. This is much earlier than entries were received for the Concours in 2011.
• Team entries for the InterClub Regularity Championship (for 19/5/12) are already running at approximately 75% of the total slots available.**
Attached is a copy of the event ebrochure. I have included it as it may be useful to you in raising this issue with your members -- please use it in any way that can help.
As always, I look forward to seeing you and saying ‘Hello’ at Maclean’s Bridge at Lakeside (19 and 20 May 2012).
(Chair of the Organising Committee for Maclean’s Bridge at Lakeside. I can be reached on 0419213009 or 07 3820 6121.)
* National Motoring Heritage Day is 20 May 2012. Maclean’s Bridge at Lakeside is proud to be part of this national celebration.
** If you have a potential team for the InterClub Regularity Championship in your Club that has not yet registered their interest they would be well advised to get onto this as soon as possible – details are at www.macleansbridge.com.